NEWS: SFMOMA DEBUTS FIRST MAJOR TOURING EXHIBITION OF GARRY WINOGRAND’S WORK IN 25 YEARS
- The first retrospective in 25 years of work by artist Garry Winogrand (1928–1984) will debut at SFMOMA on March 9 and run through June 2, 2013.
- Jointly organized by SFMOMA and the National Gallery of Art, Garry Winogrand brings together the artist’s most iconic images with newly printed photographs that have never been exhibited or published until now.
- Known primarily as a street photographer, Winogrand captured everyday strangers on the street and the rich and powerful; protesters and politicians; airports and zoos. The photographs in the exhibition and accompanying catalogue will paint a vivid portrait of the artist as a chronicler of postwar America.
- After premiering at SFMOMA the exhibition will travel to Washington, D.C., New York, Paris, and Madrid.
- For more information, read the full press release.
Image: Garry Winogrand, Los Angeles, ca.1980-83; gelatin silver print; Garry Winogrand Archive, Center for Creative Photography, University of Arizona; © The Estate of G>arry Winogrand, courtesy Fraenkel Gallery, San Francisco